<em>Hitler’s Professors</em>: A documentation of war crimes by German academics against the Jewish people
Havanna. Kuba hat mit der Herstellung von Tablets und Laptops begonnen. Die im Dezember eröffnete Fabrik kann bis zu 120.000 Einheiten pro Jahr produzieren und gehört zum Staatsunternehmen für Informatik, Kommunikation und Elekrtonik (Gedeme). Damit werde die Technologie und digitale Kompetenz auf der Insel weiter gefördert, so das staatliche kubanische Fernsehen. ... weiterlesen auf amerika21.de.
Pro-choice activists in Queensland say the campaign for abortion law reform is entering its “final, most important stage”.
This was the assessment of Kate Marchesi and Olivia King from Young Queenslanders for the Right to Choose about the campaign to support abortion law reform measures introduced by independent state MP for Cairns, Rob Pyne.
Abortion is currently in the Queensland Crimes Code Act 1899. Pyne has moved two bills which will be voted on in parliament on March 1. The first bill removes the provisions of the Crimes Act relating to abortion; the second imposes certain regulations on how legal abortions can be performed.
Pyne told Green Left weekly that he respects people’s right to have different views but “surely we can all agree that this medical procedure should not be in the criminal code”.
“Nothing is ever given for free”, he said. “All rights are fought for.”
“Now we really need Queensland and Australian women to get behind this campaign so that women can have control of their own reproductive health.”
Marchesi and King told GLW that “with the vote now fast approaching it's time to build on the accomplishments made so far”.
“We need to let our MPs know just how much support there is to take abortion out of the criminal law.”
Regular pickets, organised by the recently reformed Women’s Abortion Rights Campaign (WARC), have been held throughout Brisbane calling on politicians to support the reform bills. The pickets have also sought to build support for the upcoming February 16 and March 1 rallies.
Anna McCormack from WARC told GLW that the February 16 rally will be a “very significant because the [parliamentary] report [into the second of Pyne's bills] will be handed down the next day.
“So, we’d urge everybody to make an effort to get along.”1122Australian News
The New South Wales state government has released changes to the state’s planning law which, if passed, will grant big mining companies more power and reduce communities and councils’ already limited rights of appeal.
The government says the changes to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act (EP&A Act) 1979, released on January 9, are primarily about promoting “confidence” in the state’s planning system.
But Lock the Gate Alliance said the proposed changes could well have been written by the mining industry itself.
The updated objectives are a fuzzily-worded promotion of “community participation”, “proper management” and “conservation” of NSW’s “natural and other resources”.
The government has committed to halving assessment times for “state significant projects” — mines, wind energy developments and industrial manufacturing sites — that are already under scrutinised.
The changes also strengthen the planning minister’s power to override local council planning decisions and allow government appointees to sit on local planning panels.
The draft bill aims to do away with “reviews” by the Planning and Assessment Commission (PAC) and make substantial regressive changes to the already flawed process.
The PAC will essentially be merged with another authority, the mining and petroleum gateway panel, with some members of the gateway panel becoming commissioners.
NSW planning minister Rob Stokes said the new authority “will guide assessments undertaken by the department” to ensure the average project proposal period was halved by between 70 and 160 days.
The changes will also remove the avenue for appeal against certain development decisions, including those in the mining sector. The NSW Minerals Council is happy with the proposed changes.
“Internal reviews of state significant development will not be available for high-risk developments, such as heavy industries, intensive livestock industries and mining operations if the commission has held a public hearing into the development”, the summary noted.
Marie Flood, from Stop Coal Seam Gas Sydney, said the Mike Baird government is not to be trusted.
“We know the Baird government’s record: pushing for more CSG and coal mines, passing new laws to greatly increase penalties against anyone who dares to protest against mining and development projects and the weakening of environmental protection laws”, she told Green Left Weekly.
“Parts of this new proposal do seem to be a response to corrupt and incompetent practices by miners and developers”, Flood said, “but ultimately the changes are about speeding up the excise of power”.
“We will keep this record in mind as we read the proposal critically and make submissions, drawing attention to what good planning laws would look like.”
Lock the Gate Alliance’s Georgina Woods said that if communities are not able to query approvals in court and the new “Independent Planning Commission” is not accountable, protests againstr mine approvals would continue.
“Overall, the Baird government is giving the mining industry what it wants while leaving communities to suffer under the same unfair rules they’ve already got,” said Woods.
[The draft changes are open for public comment until March 10. Go to planning.nsw.gov.au/Have-Your-Say/Community-Consultations or forward written submission to the Department at the Legislative Updates email firstname.lastname@example.org.]1122Australian News
As the people on Manus Island prepared to see in the New Year, drunken immigration officials and police beat up asylum seekers who were then taken into police custody and denied food and medical treatment. PNG politician Ronny Knight responded by tweeting “They deserved what they got”.
Barely a week earlier Faysal Ishak Ahmed, a Somalian asylum seeker in Manus Island detention centre, died on Christmas Eve after months of being denied adequate medical treatment.
Meanwhile, bureaucratic hurdles continue to delay a court case that will determine the future of the Manus Island detention centre. The centre was found to be in breach of Papua New Guinea's constitution last year.
And no one is closer to being resettled or given citizenship in the United States. The refugee deal is showing its true colours as a political tool and not a “solution”.
Welcome to the beginning of the fourth year in offshore detention centres for many refugees and asylum seekers. This year will also herald 25 years since the policy of mandatory detention was first introduced in 1992.Refugees beaten, killed
The beatings of asylum seekers came almost three years to the day of Reza Berati’s murder in February 2014. Berati was beaten to death in an attack on the Manus Island detention centre by guards and local vigilantes.
Many hoped these brutal scenes would lead to an end to offshore detention.
Instead, two local PNG guards were convicted for Berati’s murder, each given jail sentences of five years. Some people have spent longer in detention.
An Australian and a New Zealand guard also accused of involvement in the attack were whisked off Manus Island before they could be charged.
No police officer or guard was charged or detained for the assaults on New Year’s Eve. Authorities have claimed it was the refugees who attacked them — photos of the injuries the refugees sustained suggest otherwise.
Later in the same year that Berati was murdered, another murder of a different kind occurred. Hamid Khaezi died from septicaemia that developed from a small cut.
Subsequent reports have squarely laid the blame on numerous requests for medical treatment being denied by the private contractor International Health and Medical Service (IHMS) and approval for an emergency evacuation by Department of Immigration being delayed until it was too late.
Ahmed’s death was also the result of being denied medical treatment for several months, during which he suffered regular blackouts. Over fifty refugees in Manus Island wrote a letter to the Department of Immigration asking them to provide him with access to medical treatment.
Their deaths are separated by almost three years. Three years of countless reports, testimonials and the most tragic of circumstances detailing how the denial of medical treatment is leading to deaths in detention.
Their deaths, like the abusive guards are not a fault in the system but its purpose.Mounting pressure
While human rights abuses worsen in detention, the pressure to close them is growing. If offshore detention was winning public support, there would be no need to be branding about the US refugee deal.
A concerted campaign to reveal the human rights abuses in offshore detention centres, coupled with diverse protests since the their introduction, is making them increasingly unpopular.
Crucially, refugees in detention are playing a leading role in this movement through their ongoing protests and constant release of photos, videos and social media updates, often going to great personal risk to get information out of detention.
Benham Satah — who witnessed Berati’s murder — faced death threats in the lead up to testifying in court and was refused a transfer request from PNG.
Despite the huge geographical distance between refugees protesting in detention and activists in Australia, people are constantly finding inventive ways of communicating and collaborating.
It is probably for this reason that the Department of Immigration announced in late 2016 that it is planning to ban mobile phones in detention centres. This needs to be resisted as it would not just be another attack on freedom of speech; it would also remove a critical support network for many people in detention.
As the government continues to trample on human rights, more details of its sinister US refugee deal are coming to light.
People in Manus Island detention centre have been told they need to move to the East Lorengau camp, which is outside of the detention centre to apply for a US visa. This would allow the government to close the centre down and leave the several hundred men on Manus Island.
Manus is a small island where many people live off the sustenance of what they can grow and catch. Its medical services — especially psychological care which many refugees desperately need — are limited and stretched. Manus Island does not have the capacity to cope with resettling the refugees there.
By pursuing this plan, the Australian government is fuelling conflict between refugees and locals. This has already led to violence towards refugees.
There is speculation the government is pursuing this path to remove people from the detention centre before the PNG court case is decided. The case has been consistently stalled by moves such as demands that lawyers obtain more than 700 individually signed applications from people in the detention centre before proceeding further.
The refugees involved in the case are hoping the court’s judgement will order that the men in Manus Island detention centre need to be returned to Australia.
2017 marks 25 years since the introduction of mandatory detention: a policy that has rapidly gotten more horrific and is normalising the inhumane.
It is also coming under more public pressure than ever before, as greater numbers are becoming outraged at the cruelty and taking part in the refugee rights campaign.
2017 started off with more cruelty towards refugees. Let’s end it with the camps closed.1122Comment and Analysis
Socialist Alliance is fielding four activists in the March 11 Western Australia state election under the slogan “For the billions, not the billionaires!”
All four candidates are involved in the campaign to stop Roe 8 and are passionate about creating a society that puts people and the planet ahead of the big corporations.
The candidates are (from left to right): for the Legislative Assembly, Biboolmirn Yorga woman Corina Abraham (running in Willagee) and mental health nurse Chris Jenkins (Fremantle); and for the Legislative Council, former teacher Petrina Harley and Fremantle councillor Sam Wainwright (South Metropolitan).1122Australian News
Thousands of wetlands protectors participated in a peaceful protest on January 12 at the site of the state government’s Roe 8 highway project, a $450 million extension to Stock Road across the Beeliar Wetlands.
Work on the project was delayed as hundreds toppled the temporary fence surrounding the exclusion zone around the cultural and environmentally significant site. They continued through to encircle an inner compound where a front-end loader for clearing more bush was being kept.
At this point, two protectors locked onto the device and another performed a tree sit above.
Thirty one people were arrested that day, including an elderly Aboriginal man who was slammed to the ground by police.
Several people, including Socialist Alliance Fremantle councillor Sam Wainwright and Melville councillor Tim Barling, were arrested the day before after they locked onto bulldozers.
This was the first time in the campaign against Roe 8 that such numbers have been successfully mobilised. It demonstrates the speed and depth to which the issue is galvanising local community support.
Other recent developments in the campaign include the High Court’s December 16 decision to turn down an application to appeal against the project and WA Labor’s announcement that it will scrap the project if elected at the March 11 state election.
Labor has said it will redirect funds currently allocated to Roe 8 to four other road projects. As yet, there is no clear environmental or financial case for these projects and many are concerned the projects have been devised primarily to compensate Leighton Holdings, the company contracted to build Roe 8.
The campaign against Roe 8 is very broad and includes Nyoongar activists, wharfies, parents, residents, doctors and farmers, each with their own overlapping reasons for wanting to stop this highway from going ahead.
Wainwright , who was charged with trespassing and disobeying a move-on order, told the Fremantle Herald shortly after his arrest that he was confident he had done the right thing and was buoyed by support from onlookers and social media.
“What is clear is that the [Colin] Barnett government has no moral compass”, Wainwright said on January 12, commenting on the heavy handedness of the police who pushed around peaceful protesters, threatening them with dogs and horses.
It is estimated to cost more than $40,000 a day to police the site. That, plus growing community opposition means the political cost to the state government is mounting: it has to decide whether building this road and fulfilling its contract to Leighton is worth the price of losing power after March 11.
Dramatic moment as crowd takes down fence in a amazing action of community civil disobedience #SaveBeeliarWetlands #RethinkTheLink #noroe8
Posted by Friends of the Earth Perth on Wednesday, January 11, 20171122Australian News